What Kind of Insurance is Needed for Your Eastern Ontario Farm?
If you are a farm owner in Ottawa, we understand how demanding managing your farm, crops, and animals may be. It takes a lot of resources to maintain a farm, whether it’s a small or large-scale venture. Many logistics go into running a farm. You don’t just need to maintain the land; you must also provide for and protect the farm animals, which is why you need farmer’s insurance in Ottawa.
As a farm owner, you face many hurdles daily and always have to be one step ahead of any issues that may arise. Farm insurance will protect your business from paying unexpected bills out-of-pocket every time there is an emergency.
However, many types of farm insurance policies are available with different kinds of coverage. How do you choose the perfect insurance policy that will give you the most advantage as a farm owner?
Fortunately, our experts at Oegema, Nicholson & Associates have put together this guide highlighting the best kind of insurance for your farmland to assist you in making the best decision.
What is farm insurance?
Farm insurance is a policy that protects the farm structures, machinery, farm business liability, and farm produce from all sorts of peril that may occur.
It is a legal document that ensures that you will be protected in the event of flood, drought, fire, or theft. For this coverage, you will need to pay premiums periodically as an insurer in order to cover the insurance cost.
You will also need to know the cash value of your machinery and the structures within the farmland. It is equally important that you know the cost of running your business. If there are any terms you do not understand, run them by your professional insurance agent and ensure you know what coverage is provided by your policy.
There are several different types of farm insurance available for farm owners, and you must understand them before deciding on what you may need.
Types of Farm Insurance
The types of available farm insurance are divided into insurance for structures on your farm and the farmland in question.
For a Homestead
Farmhouse insurance: Farmhouse insurance will typically protect residential structures on your farm from damages like theft, vandalism, and other hazards. This insurance can also cover commercial costs if you insure plants and trees under standard insurance.
A basic farmhouse insurance policy will offer coverage just for your home and properties within it. However, you can always decide to redesign your insurance policy to suit your needs. A farmhouse insurance policy covers both residential and commercial costs.
- Barns and outbuildings insurance: This insurance policy covers only damages to your barn. It would pay for the cost of repairs to your barn in the event of any peril.
- Business interruption insurance: Many situations may occur and incur a loss on your business. Farm insurance will protect your business against any loss. Business interruption insurance is necessary if your place of business is damaged and unable to function for a while. This insurance will provide the amount you may have made if the unfortunate situation did not occur.
- Farm liability insurance: This coverage will protect you, your farm structures, livestock, and workers from unintended consequences. Whatever accidents may occur—be it to you, your employees, or visitors—as long as they happen on the farm, a farm insurance liability will cover the cost of damages.
- Hobby farm insurance: If you have a farm that you started as a hobby, but now generates minimal income and requires equipment to run, this insurance plan is just right for you. Hobby farm insurance will cover the costs of damage to your residential property, farm equipment, and other liabilities.
Farm produce insurance: Your farm produce is an important asset in your business. That is why at Oegema, Nicholson & Associates, we offer this insurance coverage on all farm produce, including pesticides and herbicides.
Livestock insurance : If you own livestock on your farm, this insurance policy is tailored for you. Livestock produces a wide range of products for your business, from meat to milk and even manure. Hence, it is wise to have them protected against illness or harm.
Livestock insurance will cover you against losses on livestock such as pigs, cows, sheep, goats, horses, and chickens.
Farm equipment and machinery insurance: Farm machineries, like tractors, trucks, shredders, cutters, or seeders, may need replacement if they are damaged.
However, farm equipment often costs huge sums of money, and paying them out-of-pocket will incur large losses on your business. This cost is what farm equipment and machinery insurance will cover.
What kind of insurance is needed for your Eastern Ontario farm?
Now that you know some of the insurance policies available to you as a farm owner, deciding on which will be best for your farmland is important.
As a farmer, you need an insurance policy that covers the following:
- Farm machinery and equipment: Any farm insurance that covers damages and repairs on farm machinery is necessary to protect your business.
- Farm produce and livestock: Another necessity in your insurance policy is coverage of your livestock and produce, as they are the reasons your business thrives. So, confirm with your insurance expert that your policy covers the above.
- Liability: If harm occurs to somebody due to your farm operations, you need to be sure that you are protected against any cost. An insurance policy that protects you from litigation problems or hospital bills is thus crucial.
- Farm business interruption: A natural disaster may cause your business operations to cease for a while. You need an insurance policy that provides for you during that time.
- Farm structures: Insurance policies that provide coverage for all farm structures, whether commercial or residential, are essential for you as a farmer in Eastern Ontario.
Where is the best place to get farm insurance in Eastern Ontario?
If you’re in Ottawa, Oegema, Nicholson & Associates is the perfect insurance company for your needs. Our insurance professionals are ready to assist you in making the best decision for your farmland and business. We want your business to thrive and be free from losses, so we design our policies to meet your requirements.
To learn more about farmer’s insurance in Ottawa, call Oegema, Nicholson & Associates at 613-704-7766 or contact us here.