6 Things You Need to Know About Motorcycle Insurance
For motorcycle enthusiasts in Eastern Ontario, it’s almost time to rev up for another year of riding. But before embracing your inner “easy rider,” there is the important matter of insurance to deal with.
At Oegema, Nicholson and Associates, we understand the allure of the open road, but we want to make sure that you’re adequately protected out there – getting you the right coverage at the right rate. Here are a few things you should know about motorcycle insurance in Ontario.
- Motorcycle insurance is mandatory in Ontario. Of course, you must also have a motorcycle license in order to ride in Canada, and wear a helmet at all times.
- Just like with car insurance, a number of factors play into your premium. These factors are generally similar to what you’ll find with your auto insurance. They may include (but not be limited to):
- Your level of experience as a driver;
- The amount of mileage you’re putting on the bike;
- The make, model and age of your motorcycle; value of any modifications;
- Where exactly you live;
- Whether you carry a passenger or not;
- Past claims history;
- And more.
- Despite it being a seasonal activity in Canada, generally, insurance policies are issued for one year terms and premium are based on the seasonal use. So there’s little or no advantage in cancelling your insurance in the fall and resuming it in the spring. On the bright side, having insurance year-round allows you to take advantage of the unpredictable weather in Eastern Ontario – and ride without worry on a beautiful fall or spring day.
- There are options for coverage for loss or damage to your policies, such as Comprehensive Insurance, which will cover theft, vandalism, fire; Collision Insurance which provides coverage for collision with another vehicle/motorcycle or impact with the surface of the road. Check to make sure that you have the right amount of coverage in case damage to your bike happens.
- For new drivers, taking an approved safety course is a great way to reduce your insurance premiums. The courses are generally fairly reasonably priced and can save you a good amount of money in the long run.
- You may be able to take advantage of multi policy discounts by bundling your motorcycle insurance with your home and /or auto insurance.
Motorcycle Insurance in Eastern Ontario
Need to inquire about motorcycle insurance in Ottawa or Eastern Ontario? Speak to your local broker at Oegema, Nicholson & Associates. We’ll point you in the right direction to make sure your ride is covered right. Contact us today.