We are committed to providing our clients with excellent service. Doing Business with a Property and Casualty insurance broker involves providing information about yourself, so protection of your personal information is one of our highest priorities.
Our brokerage and the insurance industry have a solid track record of respecting your right to privacy and safeguarding your personal information. As a result of federal legislation, we’ve further strengthened our privacy commitment by informing you of why and how we collect, use and disclose your personal information. You can be assured that we’ll only handle your personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
The following is a summary of our privacy practices.
Why do we collect personal information?
When you first become a client or whenever you acquire or renew a product from us, we need to collect some of your personal information. Common purposes for which we collect your personal information are to:
- Enable us to acquire or renew an insurance policy for you;
- Assist you and assess your ongoing needs for insurance;
- Assess your needs for other products, such as financial products, and to offer them to you;
- Ensure your information is accurate and up-to-date; and
- Protect us both against error and fraud.
What personal information do we collect?
Personal information is information that identifies you as an individual client and relates specifically to you. Depending on the purpose(s) for which we need to collect it, we may ask for the following personal information about you including:
- Basic information such as your name, address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail address, birthdate and martial status.
- Claims history
- Credit and past payment records
- Driver’s record
- Details about your property such as the value of your home and it’s contents
- Medical information such as any condition that may affect the operation of a vehicle
- Employment information
We may obtain this information from:
- Insurance companies
- Other insurance agents or brokers
- Credit organizations
- Motor vehicle and driver licensing authorities
- Financial institutions
- Medical professionals
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
For many of the purposes identified above, we will need to share your personal information with others in order to serve your needs. These other parties commonly include:
- Insurance companies
- Other insurance agents and brokers
- Credit organizations
- Professionals working with us such as adjusters or lawyers
- Financial institutions. For example, the organization that carries your mortgage.
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal information and right to privacy, we will:
- Not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those that we identify to you.
- Keep your personal information only for as long as we need it to fulfill the stated purpose or as required by law.
- Maintain your personal information in as accurate, complete and up-to-date a form as possible
- Safeguard your personal information to the best of our ability
- Respond to any request you may make to access or correct the personal information we hold about you.
- Obtain the appropriate consent from you for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
We may obtain your express consent or we may determine that consent has been implied by the circumstances.
- We might ask you for your express consent in writing, for example in a signed consent or application form.
- We may ask for your express consent in person or over the phone.
- We may determine that by seeking insurance through our organization, your consent has been implied for us to deal with your personal information in a reasonable manner.
There are also legal exceptions in which we will not need to obtain your consent or explain the purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information. For example, this could apply when there is an emergency situation, or if it is necessary for your protection or ours.
You can control how we handle your personal information.
We want you to know that you do have choices in this matter. You could refuse to allow us to obtain, use or share your personal information or you could also withdraw a previously given consent at any time.
However by doing that, depending on the situation, you may be limiting or even preventing our ability to provide you with the product or service you desire.
For example, if you do not allow us to obtain information about your driving record, it is unlikely that we will be able to provide you with auto insurance.
We’ll be happy to discuss particular situations with you to help you with your decision.
Statement of Privacy Principles
As the privacy and protection of personal information is important to us. As a distributor of financial products and services, the collection and use of customers’ personal information is fundamental to our day-to-day business operations. Oegema – Nicholson Financial Inc. is also concerned about the personal information of its employees and representatives.
Therefore, we have established this Statement of Corporate Privacy Principles to govern how we collect, use, retain and disclose personal information. Each employee and representative must abide by our commitment to privacy in the handling of personal information.
In handling customer, representative and employee personal information, we abide by the following principles.
Information We Collect
We collect personal information in compliance with applicable laws and ethical business practices, in order to provide products and services and to conduct business. We limit the information we collect to that which is necessary for, or related to, these purposes.
How We Use Personal Information
We may use or disclose your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected, other purposes you consent to, or as required or pennitted by law.
We will not share your personal information, without your consent, with any organization outside our company for the purpose of that organization marketing its products or services to you.
We will keep your personal information only as long as needed to satisfy the purposes for which it was collected or as required or pennitted by law.
We aim to keep our records of your personal information as accurate and up to date as is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it is used.
We will protect personal information with security safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information, in order to protect it from unauthorized access, release or use.
Our Privacy Commitment
We are committed to handling the personal information under our control with care. We have designated individuals who are responsible for monitoring our ongoing compliance with the Privacy Principles.
We will make information about our privacy policies and practices for managing your personal information available to you.
Upon your written request, we will provide you with reasonable access to your personal information and a description of its use or disclosure, as required or pennitted by law. You may also verify the accuracy and completeness of your information, and request that it be amended, if appropriate.