Indoor Mold: Causes & Solutions
If you find mold growing in your place, it’s a bad sign for the health of your home – and can be terrible for the health of those living inside it.
The mold that many people are familiar with is commonly referred to as Toxic Mold. It has a nasty reputation, for good reason: it can cause health issues for your family if it is growing in your home. Common symptoms upon exposure to this mold variety, which grows on papers and wood, include coughing, watering eyes and headaches.
While indoor mold is definitely not ideal, the good news is that it is useful as potentially serving as a warning sign of the health of your home.
What Causes Mold to Grow Indoors?
Toxic Mold can indicate the presence of a number of issues, which is why although it’s off-putting, spotting it early can actually be a good thing.
Toxic Mold can indicate –
- Excess moisture, which is sometimes a sign that there are leaks or cracks — that might otherwise go undetected – allowing water to seep in.
- A lack of ventilation;
- Poor air quality.
Things that can help prevent the growth of mold include:
- Regular vacuuming – dust acts as a reservoir for mold spores;
- Ensuring humidity levels are not too high within your home environment;
- Making sure that potential problem areas have proper ventilation.
How to Deal with Indoor Mold:
But sometimes even the best preparations are not enough, and mold still finds its way into our homes. When you spot it, it’s best to deal with it as quickly as you can so that it doesn’t lead to some of the adverse health effects listed above.
If it’s at all possible, the best mold solution is to get rid of the infested material entirely. Unfortunately for homeowners, mold can be extremely difficult to properly dispose of. Some types are resistant to typical consumer cleaning products like solvents or soaps.
If the area that’s been affected is a large area, or it’s found its way into the walls of your home, it’s usually best to leave the job to professionals, who are trained to safely and efficiently treat or dispose of mold-infested materials.