Spotting Signs of Water Damage in Your Home
Water has a way of finding its way into homes and wreaking havoc if left unattended to. Not only is it important to address any water damage issues in your home for the safety and structural integrity of your home, but it is also very important for your health. Often, if there is a water leak and water damage in your home there will be signs. Below are some of the most common signs of water damage in your home. If you notice any or all of these signs in your home, contact a licenced professional to inspect the damage in a timely manner.
- Dampness Smell. If your home smells damp, it is likely due to water getting into your home. Go through your entire home and any crawl spaces to determine where the dampness smells are strongest and inspect for any additional signs of water damage. Where the smell is strongest is likely the areas the water is coming from or pooling so these areas should be investigated first.
- Dripping and/or Flowing Water Sounds. The sound of dripping or flowing water behind walls or below floors may be a sign of water getting into your home, or of a plumbing problem. Inspect the areas around where you hear the water most frequently or loudest and inspect for additional signs of water damage. If you are concerned it may be a plumbing issue, contact a licensed professional plumber to inspect the issue.
- Peeling, Cracking or Bubbling Paint. Moisture build up in your walls can result in paint peeling, cracking or bubbling. Brown stains on your ceilings or down your walls are also signs of water damage and should be looked at to see the extent of the water damage to prevent any further damage to your home.
- Higher than Normal Water Bill. If you notice the charges for your water use go up without an increase in use, this may be a sign of a water issue. Possible water issues that could lead to an unexplained increase in your water bill are leakage in your home or an issue with your water meter.
- Swollen or Warped Baseboards and/or Flooring. If you’ve noticed your baseboards or flooring have become swollen or warped, this is an indication that water is getting in behind or under these areas. Locate the areas where the damage is worst and try to locate the source of the water or call a professional to inspect the damage and conduct a proper repair to ensure no further damage is done.
- This is perhaps the most important sign of water damage to spot as it can seriously affect your health. If you spot mold in your home, call a professional to inspect the mold and possible damage to ensure proper removal of all mold and a proper repair to the issue to prevent further mold growth.