From luxury coaches to Class C cargo vans, RVs are the preferred choice of travel for many Canadians. These recreational vehicles offer mobile living accommodations, so you can essentially vacation with your ‘home’ on the road. RVs are perfect for long family road trips. They’re also ideal for those who enjoy the outdoors, but would rather not sleep in a tent.
Recreational vehicle insurance is mandatory for anyone operating this type of motorized trailer. If you’re interested in learning more about RV insurance, here’s a comprehensive guide on what this type of product entails. Whether you’re headed on a short summer jaunt or a year-long journey across the country, Oegema Nicholson and Associates can ensure you’re well-protected every stop of the way.
What is recreational vehicle insurance?
Much like automobile insurance, recreational vehicle insurance will cover you for many of the similar risks. Collision, comprehensive and liability coverage are usually standard on most policies. But because RVs often contain a large number of valuables, many providers offer elements of home insurance as well. Oegema Nicholson can help you obtain additional protection for the following items:
- RV equipment and accessories, such as awnings, satellite dishes or lighting fixtures
- Personal belongings, including electronic devices and jewelry
- Exterior attachments, such as satellite dishes or portable modems
Just like traditional vehicles, RVs can break down on the road. It’s a good idea to opt for towing and roadside coverage as emergency services can get costly. As for damages, total loss replacement coverage is available should your recreational vehicle become totaled.
In what scenarios is RV insurance helpful?
RV insurance is most helpful in that it protects you from having to pay out of pocket in the event of an accident. It provides you with peace of mind, so you can continue to enjoy your travels knowing you’re protected no matter what happens. Here are some of the ways in which recreational vehicle insurance could potentially cover you:
- If you’re at fault in an accident, the other driver will file a claim with their insurance company. Your insurer will pay that claim from your policy — up to the limits of your liability coverage. Expenses can include vehicle damages, legal fees and medical bills for the other party. Should these expenses total more than your coverage limit, you’ll be responsible for paying the difference.
- If your RV is damaged in a collision and needs to be towed, your insurance provider will cover some or all of the towing costs.
- If your RV is stolen, destroyed in a windstorm or damaged by an animal, your comprehensive coverage would kick in to cover your losses.
How much RV insurance do I need?
The amount of insurance you need will largely depend on the model of your recreational vehicle and how much you use it. RVs are divided into three classes. Those ranging from 21 to 45 feet long are usually in Class A, and include the luxury coach or converted bus. These are the most expensive varieties to insure. The smallest class of RVs are found in Class B, and come with much lower insurance premiums.
Be sure to let your insurance broker know whether you plan on living in your recreational vehicle part time or full time as this will affect your rates. Those who plan on travelling across borders may also have to pay a higher premium.
The insurance experts at Oegema Nicholson can help you determine how much insurance you actually need. The same way that being underinsured is unsafe, being overinsured can be a problem too. There’s no point spending hundreds of extra dollars for coverage you realistically may not need. A trusted insurance broker can ensure you’re getting the right amount of insurance for your needs.
Why trust Oegema Nicholson?
In business since 1961, Oegema Nicholson offers a full suite of insurance products designed to bring peace of mind to all aspects of your life. Recreational vehicle insurance is just one of our areas of expertise. From emergency roadside assistance to lowered comprehensive deductibles, rely on our knowledgeable brokers to connect you with some of the top coverage options on the market. Get in touch with our friendly team and access the best quotes all in one place.